Saturday, February 27, 2016

A Knight's Plea: Arise, arise, stand up, O Jerusalem

In the last two years or so, I have spent a fair amount of time and energy attempting to combat the rapid promulgation of liberal irrationalism.

The forum? Facebook

The audience? Either people who get it, click “Like” and move on…
Or people who don’t get it: men and women who are “lovers of themselves, covetous, haughty, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, wicked, without affection, without peace, slanderers, incontinent, unmerciful, without kindness, traitors, stubborn, puffed up, and lovers of pleasures more than of God…”[1]

My intentions? Pure. I refuse to hide my lamp under a bushel basket.[2] I want to bring others to Christ.
Fraternal correction and instruction of the ignorant are two of the most important (and perhaps most abandoned) spiritual works of mercy. The zeal for souls is a hallmark of a true Christian, the persecution that comes with this effort a blessing.[3]

The fruits of these debates? Zero. Zilch. Nil. Trying to sway a person on Facebook is like trying to walk through a wall.

On multiple occasions I have had to heed the words of St. Paul, of St. John, of our Lord Himself:
- “A man that is a heretic, after the first and second admonition, avoid:”[4]
- “If any man come to you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into the house nor say to him, God speed you.”[5]
- “Whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you; going forth from thence, shake off the dust from your feet for a testimony to them.”[6]

These people, as the Psalmist wrote, “have ears and hear not: they have noses and smell not”[7] because “the sensual man perceiveth not these things that are of the Spirit of God; for it is foolishness to him, and he cannot understand, because it is spiritually examined.”[8] “These men blaspheme whatsoever things they know not: and what things soever they naturally know, like dumb beasts, in these they are corrupted.”[9]


So it is that I have more recently chosen to bite my tongue as we continue to witness the abandonment of reason in favor of madness.

And yet…

Did not the prophet Jeremiah, in spite of so few who would listen and with full knowledge of the psalms, persist none the less? “Hear, O foolish people, and without understanding: who have eyes, and see not: and ears, and hear not.”[10]

Though our present pontiff would that I shut my mouth and be tolerant while he continues to scandalously endorse the sins of our day, the voices of his holy and courageous predecessors oblige me to opposite:
- Pope St. Leo the Great, “He that sees another in error, and endeavors not to correct it. testifies himself to be in error.”
- Pope St. Felix III just the same, “Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and, indeed, to neglect to confound evil men—when we can do it—is no less a sin than to encourage them.”
- Pope St. Pius V, “All the evils of the world are due to lukewarm Catholics.”
- Pope St. Pius X, “All the strength of Satan's reign is due to the easygoing weakness of Catholics.”

Most clearly our Lord Jesus Christ proclaimed, “Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.”[11]

Quite clearly, it is decided.

No longer will I remain silent. No longer will I hide my love of Jesus Christ, of the Truth. A sworn and consecrated Knight of the Immaculata, I am henceforth resolved to wage war against error and darkness. In public on my feet and in private on my knees, I will raise my voice and lift my soul to heaven while humbly and faithfully acknowledging that “with men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible.”[12]

But Facebook is still not the desired forum. While it may be the modus operandi of millennial communication, I for one will no longer exclusively hide behind my keyboard. Instead, I will offer live conversation: a call, a Skype, a coffee.

A conversion starts in the heart, and few hearts have ever been penetrated by polemical Facebook exchanges.


Dear friends, dear readers of my blog, will you join me?

Will you have the courage to engage people personally, in all patience and meekness, to try to win more souls for heaven?

The peace of Christ is unlike anything the world can offer. The love and mercy which God has shown us through the passion and death of His only begotten Son is unmatched by that which Satan offers each of us in the desert of our own self-love.

Arise, arise, stand up, O Jerusalem![13]

Go forth with the light of Christ and the power of the Holy Ghost and bring souls to the redemptive font of Almighty God.

~Lumen Christi sit semper vobiscum~

Image result for light of christ








[1] 2 Tim 3:3-4
[2] Mt 5:15
[3] Mt 5:10-12
[4] 2 Tim 3:5, Tit 3:10,
[5] 2 Jn 1:10
[6] Mk 6:11
[7] Ps 113:14, see also Mk 8:18
[8] 1 Cor 2:14
[9] Jude 1:10
[10] Jer 5:21
[11] Mt 5:6
[12] Mt 19:26
[13] Is 51:17, 52:2

No comments:

Post a Comment